Thursday, June 3, 2010

Orcus Getaway

My cabin at Orcas has the best view, even if it is just seen while walking down the main path. Turning into the dirt road, pulling around the loop surrounded with tall green trees against the gray of the gravel road, and seeing the shining of the ocean with the remains of the sunset reflected in the waves, I am overcome with joy. While pulling into parking spot for the first night at the family Orcas cabin, the orange glow of the sunset hits my face. Opening the doors of my light blue 07 Ford Mustang, I see an open field with knee deep green grass mixed up with a little bit of brown mushy mud. There is a red shed sticking out like a sore thumb and stockpiles of firewood by the huge cedar tree. Releasing the button that pops open my trunk; then grabbing my black Reebok hand suitcase, I walk down the beaten path which reveals more of the sea with every step towards the cabin. Seeing green shutters which stand out against mud brown colored logs, the cabin looks like it was built from Lincoln logs. The cabin has a roof that seems to need new shakes. The big tree in the middle of the yard must be a hundred feet tall. There is a tree fort that has been put up recently for my little cousins. Looking west toward the bluff, I notice the four wood chairs that have been carved from a tree trunk; then placed on the edge so the family can sit in them and view the beach and sunsets. Walking towards the edge of the cliff, I feel a soft cold breeze that comforts me while I look at the beach. It is filled with millions of misshapen rocks covered in barnacles and mussels which are growing lopsided on them. A seal with grey fur is swimming and barking. Turning around, I spot the porch that looks like a small box. Tall daisies grow in the garden in front of the main windows. Right before opening the green screen door, I see a brown deer with mud all over him. He walks slowly down into the trees. The seagulls are screaming and then there is the sound of boats pulling up small circular crab pots. Inserting the key in the door that is also made of Lincoln log green, I hear the click and open the door to get a blast of cold air and the musty, smoky smell of the inside hits my face bringing back every memory I have ever had here. I’m finally back at my cabin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment